Did you know? The average body can digest roughly 120-240 calories per hour during exercise. When you need dense energy, think carbs! Carbohydrates are efficient energy, and we use a blend of carbs to deliver more energy into the bloodstream as efficiently as possible.
GU ENERGY GELS
The original Gu Gel packets were first created for ultra-trail runners pushing the boundaries of the sport, but over 25 years later, our Energy Gels are just as crucial for someone running their first 10k as they are for world champion triathletes, cyclists, and runners. What you eat fuels you. When you're working out, your body needs easily digestible energy to keep you feeling good and performing at your best. In short, your body needs a source of carbohydrates to burn. Yes, your body will store fuel from your daily diet that you can convert to energy during shorter and low-intensity activities, but if you're working out hard or for longer than 90 minutes, you will run out of available fuel… eventually leading you to the dreaded energy bonk. Gu Energy Gels has the ingredients you need in a tasty, portable, and easy-to-digest form. GU Energy Gels provide portable and easy-to-digest calories from carbohydrates that deliver immediate and sustained energy while reducing risk of stomach distress. Gu has done their homework in regard tothe research, the testing, and the recipe building to deliver you fuel for your athletic pursuits… whether it's your first 5k or a century ride.
EATING IS TRAINING
The average body can digest roughly 120-240 calories per hour during exercise. The more you eat, the more your body diverts blood from your muscles to the gut to process food and calories. If your metabolism is slower, then one Energy Gel every 45 minutes works just fine. If you have a faster metabolism, try upping your intake to one Energy Gel every 30 minutes. It's essential to practice and test your nutrition plan to find out what works best for you.
INGREDIENTS TO FEEL GOOD, PERFORM BETTER
Carbohydrates are efficient energy, and we use a blend of carbs to deliver more energy into the bloodstream as efficiently as possible. Our system of dual-source carbohydrates provides an “express lane” for each carb to deliver energy to your body much quicker than a single source of carbs, which helps you avoid “the bonk” during training and racing.
Sodium is the #1 electrolyte lost in sweat. It's crucial to replace it during exercise to help avoid dehydration or a more serious low blood sodium condition known as hyponatremia. Any level of dehydration is not only a health risk, but can also diminish athletic performance.
Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and proteins make up the structure of the human body, including muscles. Amino acids are either produced in the body (nonessential) or must be supplied from the diet (essential). BCAAs are essential amino acids, meaning they are not made in the body, yet they constitute more than one-third of the protein found in human muscle tissue.
INGREDIENTS TO FEEL GOOD, PERFORM LONGER
Roctane Energy Gels are designed for long-duration and high-intensity activities, when you're trying to up your mileage or push yourself further.But what does that really mean?
MORE OF WHAT MATTERS
It means that Roctane Energy Gels are packed with up to three times as much sodium (depending on the flavor), three times as many amino acids, and also include beta-alanine and taurine.Sodium and amino acids are especially important when you're out there training or racing for multiple hours or during high-intensity workouts. Here's why:
Sodium is the primary electrolyte you lose when you sweat and it helps you hydrate. Electrolytes help maintain fluid balance, prevent dehydration, and are also essential for muscle contractions.
Branched-chain amino acids (leucine, valine and isoleucine) protect lean muscle and reduce mental fatigue. BCAAs are metabolized in the muscle and decrease the breakdown of muscle tissue during and after exercise. Leucine is the most important amino acid for initiating protein synthesis, the process through which your muscles rebuild and get stronger.
Beta-alanine is an amino acid that helps promote formation of the intramuscular buffer carnosine, which can reduce acidity levels in muscles and delay the onset of fatigue.
Taurine is an amino acid that is found in high concentrations in the heart and helps promote heart contractility and improve cardiac output during long exercise sessions.
PLUS ENERGY FROM CARBOHYDRATES
Just like Gu Energy Gels, Roctane Energy Gels deliver 100-calories from easily digestible carbohydrates (maltodextrin and fructose) that use non-competing pathways to maximize carbohydrate absorption and utilization while diminishing stomach distress.
DON'T FORGET THE CAFFEINE
Not all Roctane Energy Gel flavors include caffeine, but those that do deliver 35 mg of caffeine, which can stimulate your central nervous system and decrease perception of pain or effort during exercise. It also enhances performance by increasing focus and concentration. Caffeine can help delay fatigue by mobilizing fat for fuel, which spares precious glycogen stores.
WHAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE?
Reach for Roctane Energy Gels when it's time to get serious.
- Push Harder with an amplified mix of amino acids & electrolytes
- Go Further with energy from complex & simple carbs
- Enjoy the Taste even if everything else hurts
- For athletes, caffeine is more than just a morning pick-me-up. Strategically adding caffeine to your nutrition plan before and during exercise can help keep your mind sharp, decrease perceived effort, boost your endurance, and delay fatigue.
- Mental benefits: The mind is a powerful muscle when it comes to endurance sports performance!
- Caffeine can boost your mental clarity to keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Caffeine can decrease your perceived effort meaning hard efforts can feel easier.
- Physical benefits: It's not just in your head…
- When training or racing, caffeine can help you utilize fat as fuel, which spares your glycogen and extends your endurance.
- During longer efforts, caffeine can delay fatigue, meaning you'll feel fresher, longer.
- Okay… But How Much & When?
- The short answer is that consuming caffeine both before and during exercise has benefits. More is not necessarily better. Research suggests that even a small amount of caffeine (70 mg) during exercise can improve performance.
- Up to 400 mg of caffeine per day is considered safe.* However, caffeine stays in your system even during exercise, so consider skipping the extra caffeine for your evening activities to avoid disrupting your sleep!
COLD BREW COFFEE ROCANE ENERGY GEL
Cold Brew Coffee, the newest addition to the ROCTANE Energy Gel line, packs in 70mg of caffeine (which is double the amount in other caffeinated ROCTANE Energy Gels) along with the electrolytes and amino acids delivered by all ROCTANE Energy Gels.*
- The flavor delivers a boost of energy with that bitter yet smooth taste you expect from a refreshing cup of cold brew coffee.
- As with all our Energy Gels, we recommend eating one five minutes before you start and every 45 minutes along the way. (To avoid over loading on caffeine, we recommend limiting your daily consumption to five Cold Brew Coffee ROCTANE Energy Gels per day.)
* Do not exceed 5 servings of Cold Brew Coffee ROCTANE Energy Gel daily. Not recommended for pregnant or nursing women, children under 18 years of age, or people sensitive to caffeine.